Monday, January 6, 2014

Rose: A Stained Glass Window


Rose Edwards--Tennessee


I met Rose this past November at The Cove.
We sat with Rose and her husband, Brent, during lunch and they shared part of their story with us. There is a magnetism in those who have been broken and beautifully healed. There is not much glory in simply being broken; it is in the healing we see the beauty.  
In Rose’s sweet face I could see this beauty. Brokenness leaves a shadow in its wake. If left alone it darkens our faces, but if healed it softens the edges and the light seeps through the cracks. All the scars become a mosaic.
Rose’s face is a stained glass window.
The three of us prayed together that day. After lunch. At the edge of that round table. While the dining room was being cleaned and reordered. In the midst of it all we entered the throne room together and stayed there awhile.
And for the rest of the retreat I sought out her sweet face at every event. And since then we have corresponded through email. Oh, how blessed I am that we just happened to share a lunch table that day.
Rose Edwards
Brent and Rose have been married 14 years. She is stepmom to three wonderful children.
In 2008 a crisis of faith brought Brent and Rose to a crossroads in their marriage—hurt and pain of the deepest and most intimate kind. In the midst of that crisis they turned to Jesus in a way they never had before. They fell into his arms, and there they have remained.
I asked Rose a series of questions and by the time I finished her answers I was in tears. I have reread her responses several times. What an interview! There’s beautiful and sage counsel here.

1.   In this current season what would be your most comforting and your most challenging Scripture verse or passage?  

Comfort- Romans 8:28. My life verse (and that ‘life’ only began in 2008). And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Challenging-Colossians 3:23: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

This is challenging to me, because I still battle needing A-words from people: Acknowledgement, Accolades, Acceptance, Attaboy’s, Adoration, Awards, Appreciation etc. I have to remind myself of this verse when those old feelings creep back in. 

2.   Name two books besides the Scriptures which have contributed to the increase, growth and challenge of your faith?
#1) The Study of James, Beth Moore:  This was a brother of Jesus! His changed heart and therefore his instruction to us, hit me like a ton of bricks.
#2 Covenant, Kay Arthur:  I had no understanding of a Covenant, this study gave me an understanding of this critical foundational truth! How it was originated and what a Covenant means to God! I admit I struggled with the ‘blood’ sacrifice and why we had to ‘talk’ about it all the time. This study clearly opened my eyes!
3.   If you could have a conversation with your twenty-one year old self what would you tell her?
First of all, I am pretty certain she wouldn’t listen to me. But of course, I would still try!
“Rose, you will soon be faced with many, many life situations and have lots of choices to make.  Based on your childhood you are likely to make decisions based on your need for love and acceptance. You believe that a man will be able to provide you with ALL that you need to find happiness. Sadly, the decision you will end up making will bring you nothing but decades of pain and regrets. Let me tell you what I found out 34 years later- you are already loved, right now! Our parents are human and therefore have failed in raising you- but You have a heavenly Father that is perfect and He loves and accepts YOU, just as you are…Men, friends, and the acquaintances that you want to place your trust in are all human, and they will all fail you. There is only one whom you can place your complete trust in, He will never fail you, He will never break a promise, and His truth will set you free. You already know about Jesus. Rose, you know who He is, but you don’t know what it’s like to walk with Him! If you will turn your life over to Him, He will eliminate all this chaos you experience and bring you His peace! 
 
4.   Our God has called you to a minister to his Body with your gifts. Where and how does God have you feeding and caring for his sheep?
I was a successful sales professional who traveled on an average two nights a week. Once I was saved, God erased everything that was not good for me and my family; he promptly laid me off of a 25 year career. Then he swept me clean of ‘friends’. I grieved both my job and my friendships.  About 6 months later I decided to take my first women’s bible study, I slowly made some new Godly friends. The leader encouraged me to openly pray, take a small group, cover for her when she was away-and I wouldn’t have any part of it! Fast forward 4 years and many studies later, but still feeling like I just wanted to sit in the back row and blend in, then—I was lead to become a Stephen Minister. Our church offers training each year, it amounts to over 50 hours of extensive training and discipleship training. I graduated in May of this year.
In June, I was asked to take two roles in leadership positions in my church.
After much prayer and counsel I accepted both positions, I realized that it was my professional background that God is now using for this season of my life, for His Glory, for His kingdom!
STEPHEN MINISTRY: I have two care receivers that I have been working with, women whose lives are in crisis. I meet with them weekly and have truly seen God work! I often say he places what he wants them to hear in my left hand and I pass it to them in my right hand. (emphasis Tamera’s. I wanted you to read this sentence again! What a prayer.)
Woman’s Bible Study Leader: This role includes decision making for a group of approximately 60 women on next study and maintaining communication with the group. I open in prayer, which is funny from the woman who wouldn’t pray out loud!
Small Group leader:  I most enjoy the small group that I facilitate. This is an amazingly wise group of women, I love the insight shared. Many are carrying heavy burdens, and it is my pleasure to pray with and for them, caring and loving each of them.

5.    What one piece of encouragement would you offer the women reading this interview?
I have learned to ask myself “Does this matter eternally?” or “Is there any eternal value in (fill in the blank) _____?  We women often want everything to be perfect. We worry about what others will think. We work hard to control our lives and our family’s lives.  All of these things are often the result of just wanting things to be done our way.  Before reacting, or overreacting, a simple question of oneself “Does this really matter?” will allow women to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the differences, and live in the moment. For me, this brings true freedom in Christ, free from the worries of this world!




No comments:

Post a Comment